Treasurer: Woodcote Primary School
Snjezana Cormack, Woodcote Primary School, Coulsdon,
Surrey (1,200 pupils)
- How many people are there on your committee? 6
- How long have you been Chair? 3 years
- When is your busiest time of year? November
and December are very busy, because we have our winter fayre, plus
- When is your quietest time of year? January
and February are quiet, as this is after Christmas and people don't
have the energy or the money!
Tips and advice
- What's the best piece of advice you received before
taking on the role? I did not have any advice - I was just
given the paperwork to sort it out.
- What advice will you pass on to your
successor? Keep up-to-date and on top of all the
- What do you wish you'd known before becoming the
Treasurer? It is a very rewarding, but it does take a
quite of bit of the time to sort money and paperwork out.
- What have you personally gained from being
Treasurer? It has been an interesting experience working
with the school administration.
- What is the best thing about being Treasurer on the
PTA? You get to meet other parents and teachers, and work
together to obtain extra money school needs.
- What do you think makes a good PTA Treasurer?
I am a people person, easy to approach and easy to talk to. I
listen to people, and I think all of these are useful
characteristics in my role. I also work for a bank so I'm used to
Challenges in the role
- What challenges do you face? Trying to get
people to help at events is difficult, as not many parents seem to
want to get involved. I work Saturdays, so sometimes it is hard for
me to get the day off to organise all the finances on the day.
- What is the most daunting task you have
undertaken? Taking over from the previous Treasurer and
sorting out all the signatories with the bank was quite
Handling money at events
- What are your responsibilities during bigger events,
like the summer fair? First of all I have to organise the
floats, and make sure each stall has enough change. I then collect
the money at the end of the event and bank it all as soon as
- How do you go about obtaining and distributing the
floats for each stall at a big event? I normally have a
box for each stall with the stall name on it and the amount
- What is your process for counting at the end of
events? We try to count it with two people present, or the
person holding the stall will count it and I will double-check when
I get home.
- What are the logistics behind taking cash from an event
to the bank? This is a hard one, as we cannot keep money
in the school safe. I or the other member of the PTFA will take it
home. I am very nervous about it, but there is no other option. The
money is banked as soon as the bank opens.
Making and receiving payments
- How does the school go about requesting funds?
At our PTFA meetings, a school representative lets us know what the
school needs and then we have a vote. Sometimes, if it's urgent, we
vote via email.
- How do you go about giving money to the
school? The school gives us an invoice and we pay by
- Do you use online banking? We don't, as we
have two people to sign on the account.
- How long do you intend on being Treasurer for the
PTA? I will be in the role until the end of this academic
- How long did you plan on being Treasurer when you
started, and has this changed since taking on the role?
For one year, though I've been there for much longer than
- Did you shadow the previous Treasurer before taking on
the role? No, I was just handed the paperwork.
- Do you intend on having your successor shadow you in
the role, before you step down? Hopefully. I am willing to
help new Treasurer with any queries and with setting up all the new
signatures with the bank.
Share this page