Harnessing the support of parents can be tricky. At the Christmas production last year, Julie Hartell, co-chair of Beacon Rise primary school gave a speech to parents and also left leaflets on every seat stating '10 reasons why we need your help!'. Here's what she wrote:
As parents, you are automatically a member of the PTA… your voice counts.
Our PTA depends on a continual cycle of parent involvement. As children reach their final year and leave, so do their parents. The teachers and head support us when possible, but without all your support, we have no PTA – we really do need you.
The PTA is a mixture of parents that work together for the benefit of [school name]. Some are full-time parents, some work part-time and some work full-time. None of us are specialists in fundraising.
Still not sure? Here are 10 reasons why your support is invaluable to the PTA, the children and the school.
2. It’s vital to the success of the school
- Schools are becoming more and more dependent on their PTAs for funds.
- Without the funds raised by the PTA, your child would not get the benefits of: [give examples].
2. It’s totally flexible
- There are a variety of small ways you can get involved – from designing a poster or distributing letters, to cleaning up after an event or helping out on a stall.
- Giving up just 30 minutes of your time to help the PTA is invaluable. If everyone could spare 30 minutes a term to help, just think what we could achieve.
- You don’t have to attend PTA meetings – you can use our contact details to send in ideas for discussion.
3. Feel more connected
- There’s no better way to know what events are being planned, have your say or make new fundraising suggestions than by offering your help and support.
- You’ll get to know teachers and support staff on a more familiar basis.
4. Be part of a great network
- Every PTA event is an opportunity to meet other parents in the same situation as you.
- You’ll be part of a like-minded network of people who share the common goal of improving the school for all our children.
5. Make a difference
- By volunteering to help the PTA, you’ll be able to use your skills for a noble cause.
- Be part of a PTA that strives to establish a supportive and encouraging community for the entire school.
6. We’re not just for mums!
- It’s important to our PTA, our school and our pupils to have dads represented on our committee, who can help us reach out to other dads.
- Your skill could make a difference to our PTA – what can you bring? Are you a dad with a skill that would come in useful?
7. Be a role model
- By getting involved with our PTA, you’ll show your children that not only are they important to you, but their education is as well.
- Your children will see you playing an active part in making their education more exciting.
- Getting involved illustrates good teamwork and community spirit.
8. What the PTA does affects every parent and pupil
- Your voice matters – the PTA is made up of people elected to represent you, so help us to do this effectively.
- Your ideas and involvement can help improve the quality of education for all the children at our school.
- See the smiles on their faces and know that you have played a part in making school a little more comfortable and fun.
9. It’s fun!
- Help plan exciting events, socials and get-togethers.
- Suggest new enjoyable ways to raise funds.
- Get your whole family involved!
Our children are only at school for a relatively short time. PTA events such as [insert examples] will be remembered fondly by our children for a lifetime. The equipment and resources the PTA helps fund makes learning even more engaging. Help us continue to create lasting memories for our children.
Join the PTA today. Contact [insert name] on [insert phone no.] or email [address] to find out more and sign up.