Label P LB J20
Pouring wine at an event

Temporary Event Notice quick guide

Knowing when you do or don't need a Temporary Event Notice can be tricky - thankfully changes to the licensing laws relaxes requirements for schools...

Download our at-a-glance guide to TENs and other event licensing requirements.

LICENSING UPDATE APRIL 2015: In 2012 the Government launched a consultation on activities listed as 'regulated entertainment' under the Licensing Act 2003. The consultation has now closed and the following changes came into effect on 6 April 2015. View the complete guidance notes here (see p102 for regulated entertainment).

Remember that a TEN is required for any event (in England and Wales) that includes the supply of alcohol, regulated entertainment (see below) or late night refreshments.

As a result of deregulatory changes that have amended the 2003 Act, no licence is required for the following activities:

Plays: no licence is required for performances between 8am and 11pm on any day, provided that the audience does not exceed 500.

Dance: no licence is required for performances between 8am and 11pm on any day, provided that the audience does not exceed 500.

Films: no licence is required for 'not-for-profit' film exhibition held in community premises between 8am and 11pm on any day provided that the audience does not exceed 500 and the organiser (a) gets consent to the screening from a person who is responsible for the premises; and (b) ensures that each such screening abides by age classification ratings.

The deregulation guidance further explains, "Under this exemption, one condition is that the film entertainment is not being provided with a view to profit. An entry charge does not of itself make the film entertainment licensable; it is whether the organiser intended to make a profit (that includes raising money for charity). A charge or contribution that is made solely to cover the costs of the film screening is consistent with 'not being provided with a view to profit'. The 'not with a view to profit' condition applies solely to the activity of exhibiting the film under this exemption. A charge with a view to making a profit may legitimately be levied for any other activity or event that is distinct from film admission, such as the provision of refreshments, film talks, or a social event."

Indoor sporting events: no licence is required for an event between 8am and 11pm on any day, provided that those present do not exceed 1,000.

Music: no licence is required for a performance involving amplified live music and/or recorded music between 8am and 11pm on any day, at the non-residential premises of a school, provided that the audience does not exceed 500, and the organiser gets consent for the performance on the relevant premises from the local authority concerned or the school. 

In effect this means that if your PTA has no alcohol sold for a disco finishing before 11pm hours with an audience of less than 500, you simply need permission from the school to use the premises for that purpose, i.e. an event with regulated entertainment in the form of  recorded music. This includes the whole premises indoors and out - if outside beware of noise nuisance (just because it's no longer licensable doesn't give carte blanche to make as much noise as you like!).

This guide is intended as an overview only and is based on legal requirements in England & Wales. Your local authority Licensing Officer can advise on specific requirements. If more than 499 people are attending your event, other restrictions apply.

The Gambling Commission have more information on running a lottery.

If featuring live or recorded music, read our guide to music licensing.

The above is intended as guidance only. We recommend that you contact the relevant organisations with specific reference to insurance, legal, health and safety and child protection requirements. Community Inspired Ltd cannot be held responsible for any decisions or actions taken by a PTA, based on the guidance provided. 

Share this page