Secretary: Woodcote High School
Helen Carew, Woodcote High School, Coulsdon, Surrey
- How many people are there on your committee?
- How long have you been Chair? 4-5 years
- When is your busiest time of year? Summer and
Christmas events, as there's so much to do
- When is your quietest time of year? Spring, as
we don't hold many events during this time
- How does your role complement the Chair's? The
Chair and I work together to arrange dates for future meetings and
- What challenges/difficulties do you face? A
lack of support from the school.
Tips and advice
- What's the best piece of advice you received before
taking on the role of Secretary? I didn't receive any, but
I did receive plenty of advice via PTA+ Magazine and their
- What advice will you pass on to your
successor? The role is hard work but rewarding!
- What have you personally gained from being
Secretary? I've met new friends, raised money, and seen
where the money is spent.
- What is the best thing about being Secretary on your
PTA? Socially it's very beneficial.
- What do you think makes a good PTA Secretary?
Availability to help!
- How regularly do you have meetings with your
committee? Every four to six weeks
- How do you go about monitoring whether action points
are being completed between meetings? We discuss this at
the following meeting.
- What have you found is the most effective way of
communicating with parents? I manage the committee-related
communication by email, and the school sends out emails/texts to
pupils' parents advertising our events. This has worked really well
- How long do you intend on being Secretary? I
am resigning at our AGM in January 2017
- How long did you plan on being Secretary when you
started, and has this changed since taking on the role? I
am happy with the length of time I have been Secretary, but my
concern is that I am too involved with the events side of
- Did you shadow the previous Secretary before taking on
the role? There wasn't a previous Secretary when I took on
- Do you intend on having your successor shadow you in
the role, before you step down? Yes, I am happy for my
successor to shadow me for a couple of weeks.
Share this page