10 reasons why we need your help
Harnessing the support of parents can be tricky. At the
Christmas production last year, Julie Hartell, co-chair of Beacon
Rise primary school gave a speech to parents and also left leaflets
on every seat stating '10 reasons why we need your help!'. Here's
what she wrote:
As parents, you are AUTOMATICALLY a member of the PTA… your
Our PTA depends on a continual cycle of parental involvement. As
children reach their final year and leave, so do their parents. The
teachers and head support us when possible, but without all your
support, we have no PTA - WE REALLY DO NEED YOUR SUPPORT.
The PTA is a mixture of parents that work together for the
benefit of [school name]. Some are full-time parents, some work
part-time or work full-time. NONE of us are specialists in
fundraising. Taking an active role with the PTA is critical to your
children's success, so we've compiled a list of 10 reasons why
helping the PTA will greatly improve your child's experience of
1. You are vital to the success of the school
- Schools are becoming more and more dependent on their PTAs for
- Without the funds raised by the PTA, your child would not get
the benefits of: [give examples]
2. It's TOTALLY flexible!
- There are a variety of small ways you can help and be involved
- from designing a poster, photocopying and distributing letters in
the school, cleaning up after an event, helping out on a stall…so
- Giving up just 30 minutes of your time to help the PTA is
invaluable. If everyone could spare 30 minutes a term to help, just
think what we could achieve!
- You don't have to attend PTA meetings - you can use our contact
details to send in ideas for discussion.
3. You'll feel more connected
- There's no better way to know what events are being planned,
have your say or make new fundraising suggestions, than by offering
your help and support.
- You'll get to know teachers and support staff on a more
4. You'll be part of a great network
5. Make a difference
- By volunteering to help the PTA, you'll be able to use whatever
skills you have for a noble cause.
- Our PTA strive to establish a supportive and encouraging
community for the entire school.
6. We're not just for mums!
- It's important to our PTA, our school and our pupils to have
dads represented on our committee and to help reach out to other
- Are you a dad with a skill that would come in useful?
7. Be a role model
- By getting involved with our PTA, you'll show your children
that not only are they important to you, but their education is as
- Your children will see you playing an active part in making
their education more varied.
- Getting involved illustrates good teamwork and community
8. What the PTA does affects every parent (and pupil)
- Your voice matters - the PTA is made up of people elected to
represent you, so help us to do this effectively.
- Your ideas and involvement can help improve the quality of
education for all the children at our school.
- See the smiles on their faces and know that you have played a
part in making school a little more comfortable and fun!
9. It's fun!
- Help plan fun events, socials and get-togethers
- Suggest NEW fun ways to raise funds.
- Get your whole family involved!
- Our children are only at school for a relatively short time.
PTA events such as [insert examples] will be remembered fondly by
our children for a lifetime.
- The equipment and resources the PTA helps fund, make learning
even more engaging. Help us continue to create lasting memories for
To download this as a Word document click here.
If you have any advice you'd like to share with other PTAs,
please drop us an email.
Share this page